In 1922 Salvatore “Sam” Maugeri came to America along with his wife Alfia from Catania, Sicily. Others from their homeland had settled in the Swedesboro\Woolwich Twp. area. They worked long hours in the summers picking crops in the fields as farm laborers, eventually becoming sharecroppers with another established farmer.
Finally, they had saved enough money to buy their own farm and in 1928 they settled on a beautiful farm nestled on the banks of the Oldmans Creek and Maugeri Farms was born. Salvatore farmed successfully for many years and his son Joe took over the operation.
With the help of his wife, Anna, Joe built a prosperous business, purchasing another farm on Oldmans Creek Road where he and Anna lived, worked, and raised their family. The new location became the main center of farming operations. Other land was leased for additional production. Eventually, the torch was passed and the next generation took over.
Today, Maugeri Farms LLC is run by Sam and Joe Jr. These third generation growers have taken the operation to new heights. The Maugeri brothers cultivate over 600 acres in and around the Oldmans Creek area.
They continue to sell their produce to wholesale distributors and markets, as well as supplying many of the roadside markets from Pennsylvania, to the Jersey Shore, to far North Jersey.
The rich soils of the Oldmans Creek basin have long been known for producing the sweetest and most flavorful produce in the area.
In October of 2007, a new venture was started with “Harvest Days”. For the first time in 80 years Maugeri Farms was open to the public for hayrides, pumpkin picking and other fall festivities. In 2008, using a simple wooden cart alongside of the road, they decided to make their farm fresh produce available to the public. By the end of the 2010 season, the overwhelming demand for their vegetables and fruit, and the continued success of their activities in the fall, prompted Sam and Joe to begin plans to construct the beautiful farm market that is present today. The farm market, which opened it’s doors in June of 2011, is managed by their wives, Joanne and Karen.